Friday, September 18, 2009

A tootsie pop

So I was at a wedding a few weeks back and I was sitting next to my friend Sharon. In college we were in the same group of friends, but never hung out just us two. And now, Sharon is one of those friends from college who I see every now and then at gatherings. To be honest, I always wonder why we don't see each other outside of gatherings because she is so stinkin' fun. All that to say, we see each other about three times a year and aren't super close, but I would definitely say she is friend. We always have a great time catching up and laughing and I adore her.
On this particular occasion, she turns to me and says, "This is going to sound cheesy, but...when we were in college, you gave me a Tootsie Pop bouquet for my birthday and it meant so much to me, because I thought I had no friends right then and was feeling very down. I just wanted you to know I remember that and it was a big deal."
My first thought was, "A Tootsie Pop bouquet? Couldn't I have done better than that?" But...today I was driving along in the car and listening to a song about having "my moments" the seemingly insignificant moments in which we do something that can change a life.
I have been struggling with trying to prioritize and wanting always to make things "just so". Sometimes I get so caught up in wanting something to be a certain way that I don't do it at all. I want to send someone a card, but I don't have time to write a whole lot, so I don't bother to even send the small note to let them know I am thinking of them. I want to go and buy that personal gift, but I settle with something smaller and practical in lieu of time and money. I want to call and tell a friend I have been praying for them and their on my mind, but I know that the kids may wake up, so I don't.
I am grateful for the tootsie pop reminder today, because it has caused me to write a small note to a friend and call someone I have been meaning to call for awhile. It has reminded me, that maybe just a shout out or cutting some flowers from my yard to give to Gavin's Sunday School teacher may be just what was needed. And maybe, as a mom, with two little ones, "my moments" may be simple or covered in peanut butter, but no less significant.

No comments:

Post a Comment