Friday, August 17, 2012

Time with legos

Today I spent over an hour or two searching for the zillion pieces that belong in Gavin's lego "Harbour".  Yes, a zillion.  I couldn't believe the time I spent doing this...and all the things I could have done with that time.  Oh and to top it off, I didn't even find all the pieces yet.  I estimate at least an hour to go. 
I have an wonderful little technique I have developed with the legos.  We lay a huge white sheet on the ground and dump the ginormous tub of legos we have on the sheet, then the kids can spread them out and when we are done...grab four corners and dump back into tub. 
Today, that was the only thing that was wonderful about the legos.  Today, I tried to help Gav find the pieces for building this harbour.  Today I stepped on, sorted through, kneeled on, examined, counted, recounted, and picked at more legos than I ever want to pick at again.  It was literally back breaking...my back and neck are so sore from bending over these miniscule little pieces that are required to create this harbour that my son apparently needs to have exactly like the instruction book says. 
"Could we replace a white three one with a gray three one?" 
"No mom, it is gray...not white.  The white can't go there."
"How about a dark gray one?"
"No...No!"
For the love of pete!  The worst part is, he is quite unable to focus when helping look.  He turns over two pieces then sits back and lets me do the digging.  Oh, every now and then he'll utter a word of encouragement when I find one "Good job mom!"  Or remind me that I am taking a long time, "Mom, are you nearly done...I need that gray one!"  Oh, another favorite, "Mom, that is not right...it was a black one with a hooker, not a snap thing."  Okay then...gotcha.
The sad part is, I would probably be the same way if I loved legos.  I am totally type A, follow the instructions, do it right or don't do it at all.  The key here is, I don't love legos.  As a matter of fact, I am learning to abhor them. 
But my son does love them.  He loves them and he's amazing at building them.  Ttherefore, I will curb my burning resentment toward the lego company.  I will root around in the primary colored world of yellow headed men, searching for that last "two gray one with the thingy sticking out like this  mom!"  I will endure lego corners to the knees.  I will try and try again, till the flags are flying high on the harbour flag poles.  I will remind myself, that these hours are not wsated, but invested.    And I will do this, not because I love legos, but because I love my son.

No comments:

Post a Comment