Saturday, January 30, 2010

The food table

We have moved out of wedding showers, are toning down the baby showers, but have full bore arrived into the season of "kid parties". Today the boys and I went to a party for Gavin's friend Ali. She's three and loves all things pink. It really was a good party and she was so happy.
My issue:
I don't mind birthdays so much, what I do mind is having to take both my boys by myself, looking at the food table and knowing I will be consuming so little of it. It's always sad to me when I see this beautiful spread of food, that I did not have to prepare, and I barely get a chip in my mouth. Between feeding my always hungry sons and attempting to monitor their activity I felt my stomach starting to eat itself as I saw all this great food and could not find a way to make it into my mouth. I am pretty sure the folks I did not know there, and maybe some I did, thought I was a bottomless pit at the rate at which I was going back to the scone plate. I just wanted one for myself, but two little mouths always landed at my knee devouring them before I could taste the buttery yumminess.
When I went to fill my plate, Gavin had drama over sharing a balloon. When I went to get a drink, Brayden fell down the slide. Then it was time for presents. Then cake...which of course my sons get first dibs. Then I needed to get Gavin to the potty, which resulted in a full on fit (what is new there?). Finally, I decided it was probably time to go.
I was able to consume one bite of melon, half a pinwheel sandwich, three bites of scone and a half a cup of punch. Oh and quite a few chips, seeing as those were fairly portable, while trying to corral my kids and force them into sharing. My kids on the other hand, gorged themselves,loved the party and want to go back.
Tomorrow we have a one year old birthday for Shawn's best friend's daughter. Shawn is coming. I am going to eat until I hurt. And then I am going to have cake.

1 comment:

  1. Just around the corner lies a season when you will be at a party, prepare 2 plates of food for your kids, and then turn around, only to find that not only have they fixed their own plates, but they are half way done with eating them also...then you will stand there with 2 plates in hand, that you have eat on your own...Here's to stuffing your face tomorrow:-)!!! May they have bread, shrimp, cashews, and more....Love, Steph

    ReplyDelete