Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Alien forces

The personality progression of Gavin has been an interesting one:
Newborn: Compliant
Infant: Compliant
One Year: Compliant
Two Years: Compliant
Three Years: Alien Invasion...which fight his sweet spirit and turn him into crazy boy.
It's been amazing to watch, really.
I tell him "Take your blanket to your room."
"Ahhhh, Nooooo!" I hear as he runs away and falls to the ground in a fit. Screaming at the top of his lungs about how he "doesn't want to" I drag him to time out. I'll go back and ask if he has self control.
"Noo! I don't want to."
Again. Same response. About a half hour later....
"Mooooom, have self control Mom."
We go through the routine. Talk about what we did wrong. Talk about punishment. He asks for forgiveness, I give him a hug and tell him,
"Okay, now it's time to put blanky in your room."
He crumples in my arms screaming, "But I don't want tooo!"
Again? Really?
I set him away from me and ask, "Who are you?"
"Grrrr" is the only reply. It's the alien talking.

I love my son and I still see daily glimpses of his sweet spirit as he works along side his brother, teaching and coaching. As he runs to me, just to give that hug. As he turns and makes a face, letting me know, "Mom, I'm silly." He's still in there and I am working so hard to cultivate that kid. However taking down the alien is a full time job.
I have given up on praying for an exorcism and have decided the best route is to pray for myself: Wisdom, understanding, and patience, and my son: gentleness, humility, and obedience.
In the meantime, I will continue fight the alien forces until my sweet boy knows how to do it for himself.

1 comment:

  1. THANK YOU for this post! It is exactly what I needed to hear. Our 3 year old has been a nightmare!! I keep telling people "if it's a phase, I can handle it, even if it's a long phase, but if this is how it's going to be, I'm going to go crazy" Then of course, I get 5 different "I love you mom"'s out of nowhere today.

    ReplyDelete