Tuesday, July 14, 2009

All grows up!

Gavin started "Mini camp" yesterday at church. It's the vacation bible school for 3-5 year olds. He was snuck in, under age, because my friend runs the program and is a softy. He got his little T-shirt (that hangs down to his knees), his name tag, took his bag and off he went. No looking back.
I snuck upstairs to watch him. He was so little among the kids, but singing the songs and trying the motions. I was informed he did well. Didn't quite understand how to play duck duck goose, but can quote me his Bible verse. I am a proud mom.
I am also a tad sad to see my first baby, all grows up. I love that he walks away from me happy and secure, but part of me longs to still be needed. I am so thankful he has confidence to go forward, but my confidence to let him go is shaky.
This fall he'll start his first official class at church...he'll be a cubbie. He gets a little blue vest and his very own book and bag. I have been so excited, after working on Wednesday nights at church for so many years, to see my kids have this chance and learn from all these great leaders. But suddenly, I am a bit anxious about putting on that vest and bag and sending him on his way. It's one step closer to college in my mind. He'll love it and I'll start picturing an empty nest. It's hard to let go.
Tonight as we brushed our teeth for bed, Gavin tried to put his toothbrush back, but told me,
"I can't reach mom. Help please." He then handed me his toothbrush, put his stool away and did his little boy run/hop over to the couch for books. I have never been so thankful to hear the words "I can't" come out of my son's mouth. It was a little thing, but legitimate. It eased my overly dramatic and overly anxious heart. He still needs me and he isn't going to Harvard yet. Thank you God for the baby steps toward independance. It looks like 18 years isn't that long after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment