Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Nothing Great

Lately I have had a restlessness that I can't quite pin. I think it comes from not quite knowing what to do with myself, but also feeling like I don't have the time to do anything more! Between the laundry, the playtime, the errands, the diapers, the dishes, etc...I realized there is little time to do something that feels significant.
The other day, I plugged in a CD from a band called Late Tuesday. One of my best friends from college (oh how I miss and adore you Dana Little) was in the band, wrote and sang this song.

"The same old stuff i have to do
over and over and over again each day it seems
nothing great to show off my ability and my worth
show me my purpose in the midst of this routine

because i'm trying to understand why i am here at all.
with so many guesses and too many simple answers.
could it be that life is not what i think at all
it's not the big things but the ordinary in between.
and maybe this is not the time to be waiting for
any better reason to be glad that i'm alive at all
so help me take each day each simple thing that i must do
to bring glory to You

and i could search out a lot of ways to keep me doing things
in attempt to make my mark
but then maybe i'd miss the mark of Your desire for me.
so i will trust in You and in everything i do
do it as for You

and i am learning to understnad why i am here at all.
there's no need for guesses when You are the simple answer
and You show me that life is not what i think at all
it's not the big things but the ordinary in between
and maybe this is not the time to be waiting for
any better reason to be glad that i'm alive at all
so help me take each day each simple thing that i must do
to bring glory to You

and maybe this is not the time to be waiting for any better reason
to be glad that we're alive at all
and we can take each thing, each simple thing that we must do
to bring glory to You."

It so spoke to my heart. NOT to say that my kids are not reason enough to do things...they are. But sometimes through the endless loads of laundry and the amazing amounts of bite sized food I cut, I question..."Am I really doing this again?." Or the millionth time I have wiped snot, spilt milk, berries, or some unknown substance off of a face, a shoulder, the floor or my furniture, I wonder..."Shouldn't I be doing something more productive right now?"
This song reminded me...No. I should be doing what I am doing and doing it to glorify God. The clothes I am folding are providing for God's most precious gift. Maybe wiping snot is nothing great...but the snot I am wiping is coming from someone who has God given potential to be very great! It's not the routine jobs I do everyday that are great, it's who I do them for...God and my family.
A thank you to Dana. Who probably at the time she wrote this, just out of college, was questioning completely different aspects of her life. But look at how great that turned out! Her music and her gift encouraged and spoke to a stay at home mom a decade later!!! How cool!!! Her routine, her work, glorifying the Lord...truly something great and a great encouragement to me. Dana, you continue to bless me and Him by all you do!

No comments:

Post a Comment