Thursday, July 2, 2009

I love you different


This weekend we headed to the ocean with our in-laws for vacation. We stayed in a place called Seabrook, 12 miles north or so, of Ocean Shores. It seemed like a little east coast beach town, complete with old bikes to borrow, a small store and little cafe...it was really cute.

It was interesting to watch the boys this weekend, at the Ocean. Gavin would play for hours with one tiny bulldozer, trying not to get sand on his hands or toes. He ran from the water and made every attempt to keep clean and safe. Brayden wandered all over, taking in the freedom, played with all his toys, touched everything, covered his whole being with sand and headeded straight for the water, with no fear. At the house, watching them interact with the family was interesting too. Gavin is so eager to please and generally obeys right away. (Note: I say generally in a very broad, he is still two, type way). He is characterized by doing what he is told and going along with the plan. Brayden obeys pretty well, especially for just turning one. But you can see him stop, think for a minute, "is this going to benefit me or just interfere with my plans" before he does what he is told. If it's something helpful to him, like "Go get your blanky," he's on it. If it's something like, "Get off that chair," usually he only obeys if he hears a voice that sounds like discipline is on it's way. Granted, the child is only one and can't communicate very well, so we'll see how it plays out in the later toddler years. However, watching these two, who look so similar, yet are so incredibley different, is amazing.

I pray that God gives me the wisdom to parent each child they way they need to be. I can already tell they respond so differently to instruction, discipline and correction. It's hard. Just when I figure out something to help Gavin learn, I realize it doesn't impact Brayden at all. The stern voice I need to use to get Brayden to obey would just crush Gavin's spirit if I used it first time. I seek God regularly for wisdom to reach these boys hearts and minds.

Thinking about another 18 years of figuring it out makes my brain hurt. So I take it one day at a time and I do thank God for these little individuals who make me smile, make frustrated, make me laugh and make me tired, daily. I would also like to thank my mom and let her know I finally understand when she would say, "It isn't fair because you aren't your sister. I don't love you or her more, I love you different."

No comments:

Post a Comment