Tuesday, December 29, 2009

This Christmas

I feel as though after Christmas, I should write something profound. That our family should have some epiphany type moment, the angels should have blasted their trumpets and choirs ring out. We had no such Christmas. It was good. Pleasant. My kids were something to be reckoned with after all the schedule changes, late nights, sugar doses, and gifts gotten. There was nothing pretty about that. Nothing spectacular...in fact it was a bit on the unfortunate side.
Yet, as I began taking down the Christmas ornaments, wrapping up the decor and packing up the Nativity, I did find a similarity between our Christmas and that of Christ's birth. It was not what was planned. Though it was a great, it was not anything beyond the ordinary and in some cases inconvenient.
I love that Christ came this way. That he arrived in everyday chaos and lived it out. That he can in fact relate to daily life, the inconvenience of being human and dealing with humans.
When I did get some quiet moments to try and reflect on the season, this is what I came up with. And though it isn't exactly a spiritual epiphany or mountain top experience, it was a quiet comfort and I believe God knew I needed that this season. To know my Jesus is alive and with me and completely understands the daily routine of life, the unscheduled events and the unfortunate events. He was after all born outside with the animals, nestled for his naps in a feed trough and carted here and there to escape King Herod. That by far exceeds any bad days I've had and that was just his beginnings...
So here's to Christmas, and a God, a Savior and a Baby who loved us enough to come be with us...in the daily human life.
"The Word became flesh and blood, and moved into the neighborhood. We saw the glory with our own eyes, the one-of-a-kind glory, like Father, like Son, Generous inside and out, true from start to finish." John 1:13 Message

1 comment:

  1. Just perused your blog for a while, what a sweet family! Chris added a link here on our blog a while ago and I haven't had a chance to visit till today. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete