Monday, March 1, 2010

The orange plate

Today Gavin threw a monumental fit over the fact that Brayden got the orange plate. Seriously, he cried for about 15 minutes at the table (loud enough to be heard over the blow dryer) and about 15 more in time out (I decided Brayden shouldn't have to watch the fit while he tried to enjoy his waffles). An orange plate? Really?
Upon reflection, I have decided Gavin is my child in many ways. He likes what he likes. I like to eat with a salad fork. I want the small fork. When Shawn accidentally gives me the big one, 9 out of 10 times I ask for a small one. (Yes, my husband's tolerance is exceptional).
Gavin also does not handle decisions well. You give him a choice and he hems and haws for hours. You narrow the choice and all the sudden he wants something outside of the choice. This is so the dilemma when we go out to eat. I think I know what I want, but after I pick it...I am pretty sure I want something else. (Or worse, I tell Shawn to choose and then tell him I don't like his choice...that never goes over real well.)
I think sometimes, seeing your flaws reflected in your children, make you all the more ready to take on the battle. You desperately want to free them of your inadequacies and so you run in head on. I want him to be thankful for what he is given. I want him to be able to make decisions with confidence and not worry about what he missed in not choosing the other. In short, I want better for my child than I have for myself.
My friend asked me..."Why not give him the orange plate?"
My response, "Because when he's my age he'll be eating with a salad fork and that's totally unnecessary."
She didn't get it...but I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment