Tuesday, May 4, 2010

My turn

Welp, it was finally my turn to get sick, I guess. Rarely do I actually catch something the kids have, but this time I took it in full force. I got a cold, turned sinus infection and have been breathing like Darth Vader for the last few days. My head throbs, my nose is completely plugged, I am coughing and, being pregnant, my friends Nyquil and Advil are not available. Yesterday, I was so short of breathe while having lunch and I couldn't figure out why. Finally I realized, if I chewed I couldn't breathe through my nose and so it was like holding my breathe every time I ate! It stunk.
Both the kids and Shawn have colds too, but they are functioning at a tad higher level than I am and have seemed to bounce back faster. (Well, maybe not Shawn. He's got it pretty bad, but is so busy that we are passing ships this week and we really haven't talked much about it. I am hoping he can see the Dr. on Friday.) The boys seem to sniffle and move on. Good for them!
I really am just not used to being sick and frankly, am not too keen on it. It isn't enough of a sickness to stop the daily routine, so I have been plugging along trying to be a good mom, but probably failing miserably. Yesterday, I did take the boys to play on the trains at Barnes and Noble, get a cookie and a new book. It was a nice treat for us all. But I can alway say, I have sunk to a new TV low with the children, just to get some down time.
Yesterday was also my month to host BUNKO for the group I play in. So I spent much of the day cleaning and preparing dinner and dessert for 12. I usually enjoy hosting, but was a tad sad that my week of all weeks was this one. I must have washed my hands a million times trying to sanitize! All in all it went well, however I didn't win any money and that was a bummer.
Today, I could be on the upswing. I can take a small breathe through my nose and my headache is a lesser throb. We have some friends coming for lunch that I know Gav will be pumped about and the sun is shining...which may mean some outside time for the boys. I am trying to be positive...not my forte.
I keep thinking about Job. I have no boils, my family is alive and all in all we are doin' allright, yet still I feel like I want to whine. Stepping back I am disappointed with myself for getting so down about something so minor. I wish I could rub Job's elbow and get some of his gracious praise worthy attitude. I am trying harder. Because, well...God is good and He does still sit on the throne. Cold or no cold. And frankly, I am very grateful to serve Him and that He tolerates my whininess with love, mercy and compassion. That is something very praiseworthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment