Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Accident

Accident: an unfortunate mishap; especially one causing damage or injury

That's right...mommy got in an accident. Definitely unfortunate, definitely had damage...fortunately the injuries were minor. (No airbags, everyone was walking and talking).

Last night on the way home from the doctors (again), I didn't catch onto the slowing traffic soon enough and rear ended a car in front of me. BUMMER! I actually thought I was going to stop soon enough, but no, there was a tap that scratched their bumper and moved my bumper and hood back into places they do not belong.
No one was injured (well, I am sore today and the other folks may be too, but really...nothing serious). But I nearly lost it. This was not supposed to be my Tuesday night. I was not supposed to have to take Brayden to the doctor, I wasn't supposed to have the pharmacy call and say they didn't get the fax for his meds., I wasn't supposed to crunch my new van!!!
It was an accident. Shawn was awesome about it. Brayden was fine. We do actually have the money to cover our deductible. We have another car and Shawn is off for the next few days, so we don't need a rental.
I can name blessing after blessing that God has given us, but for some reason every time I think about the accident I get so angry, as though for some reason I should be entitled to a life with no accidents, no problems and no frustrations! I know in my head that in the scheme of things this is nothing. My son is okay and we are going to be fine. I know many families who are dealing with so much more right now. More than anything, I am frustrated that I cannot shake the irritation over this, because I know I am one of the fortunate ones!
In all this I have been praying for an attitude change. That though there may have been an accident, my attitude choice would be on purpose. May I learn to be grateful in this for what I do have. May I learn the meaning of Thanksgiving, not paying lip service to the holiday, but making it a heart attitude. May I remember the words of the Bible and live out my faith...
Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

No comments:

Post a Comment