Friday, February 19, 2010

Even me

The last two days I have mustered up enough umph to take the kids outside. With such nice weather in Washington and nearing the mid-fifties, one would think this would be the first thing I would do with the kids. But that "one" doesn't know me so well. I have always struggled with this activity...and I wish I didn't.
First off, I have a hard time motivating myself to do it alone. There is no one for me to talk and I just stand there and long for adult conversation. Correction: I do not stand there. I spend my time chasing the kids from here to there. Brayden has no fear of anything and is pretty much an accident waiting to happen, no matter where you take him. Being Mr. Independent does not help this scenario one iota. He runs into the street, off the gaps on the toys, into the water...you name it. If you find a place to go, he'll find a hazard.
Second, our backyard, while voted a great place to play is totally in the shade most this time of year and freezing cold. I do not like cold. This also keeps the ground wet, which in turn makes my children wet, which in turn causes a whole load of laundry to be developed in one trip outside. The front yard is on a fairly busy street and we are back to Brayden and his rebellious self running straight to danger. Also, no matter which yard you pick, I see all the weeding that needs to be done and start to feel a little overwhelmed. We aren't supposed to have to weed till April, right?
Lastly, much to my chagrin, I can be pretty lazy. The whole process of getting ready, going and then getting everyone back inside and clean again sometimes makes me tired just when I think it over. (Yes, I really am that lazy...not proud of it, though. Oh and yes, I did major in Recreation and Leisure in college...I aced the leisure part).
Well, the last two days, I put my selfish desires aside and the kids and I have been out and about in the sunshine. Yesterday we took a walk, collected rocks and then the boys played with the rocks in the front yard while I weeded. Today, Gavin rode his bike, with Brayden on the back, up and down the street for awhile, then we proceeded to do some sidewalk chalk out front on the driveway and retaining wall. Miraculously, I only had to drag Brayden out of the street 3 times.
My findings on these excursions: If I can just get us out the door, we are good to go. The initial motivation is still hard for me, but everyone is a little happier after the fresh air and Vitamin D. Even me.

No comments:

Post a Comment