Friday, February 12, 2010

reminders

My son has not peed his pants for over a week. We resorted to "incentives" and for the most part, things were going smoothly. He had mostly stopped throwing tantrums overheading to the bathroom and well, life was easier. I pointed to the car on the mantel and reminded him
"If you stay dry for three sleeps, you can have the car. Do you need to go?" And he would. It's great.
Yesterday, he kept saying, NO. I took him at his word and am really just trying to give him the control over this one. (Cuz let's face it, I do not have control of his bladder, as much as I would like to). Finally, he hadn't gone since morning, it was nearly naptime and he had a melt down. He was screaming like a banchy in timeout and I saw him cross his legs.
"Do you have to go potty Gavin?"
From the end of the hall at an earpiercing level, "Noooooo."
Okay.
Two seconds later. "Mommy, I wet my pants."
Big suprise.
And back to day one. I hate informing him he doesn't get his car for another three days. It's hard for me to see his face droop. I also hate cleaning pee.
He tells his teachers he has to go. He tells his cubbie leaders. He tells me at the grocery store. I should be thankful he rarely has accidents out in public. But I am still just dumbfounded that it's been over a year and he still pees his pants.
It's a wonderful parenting reminder that you can't do everything right and that my job is to teach him to want to do right...not just to make him do it. At the same time, I wish the reminders smelled less and were slightly more sanitary.

No comments:

Post a Comment