Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Watching them Grow

Well, we are approaching week two of Manda's life and time does indeed fly. I will say, so far I am in agreement with the statement, "the transition from three to two is easier than one to two." I am not sure why, maybe it's because, once you pass one child, chaos just insues, but it has been easier than I imagined. Granted, we haven't done any huge trips yet or ventured to the grocery store alone, but we do get out and manage to get where we are going in a relatively timely manner. Heck, the family even braved Chuck E. Cheese for a birthday...I consider that a feat.
The boys are adjusting relatively well. Adding a new child is definintely bringing their personalities to light. I am finding Gav to be an extravert and struggling with staying at home more and less "people time." He talks even more than he used to (if that's possible) and if people come, he is usually right there vying for some interaction. He is constantly coming up with ideas where to go and what to do and if we are at home, he pesters Brayden to play with him, usually trying to convince him to do what he wants to do.
OUr new punishment when Gavin acts out for attention is time in his room...trying to teach him the fine art of playing alone. He does not like it and you will regularly hear him yell out, "Am I done, cuz I've been in here a long long time." Three minutes constitutes a long long time for this little guy and we are working on expanding that. He's getting better.
Brayden is proving to be a home body who has actually fared well not leaving the house too much. We are finding he is good at imagination and playing by himself. He loves to dress up, is constantly having his "men" talk to each other and you hear noises from all sorts of transportation items come from his mouth. It is really quite fascinating the difference between the two. Brayden often wants to do his own thing and resents Gavin butting in. Sometimes, miracle of all miracles, they play super well together and it is quite fun to watch their little minds and how they work.
Amanda's a trooper. She is on a pretty fixed three hour schedule and sometimes goes longer at night. She would sleep her day away if we let her, so the boys and I work on talking to her on the ground or giving her baths during the day, to get a little awake time in. She really does seem to love her brothers voices and usually will stop fussing to watch them. I just watch her carefully, knowing, unless God has other plans, this is our last. There is a part of me that grieves each day she gets bigger. I want to savor the baby stage, knowing we won't return again. It is a sweet time.
Dad went back to school pretty early on and is trying to catch up on the beginning of the year stuff. It's hard, but from what I hear, it sounds like he's doing a good job. I know he's doing his best to get home and be a good dad and has started a ritual of climbing onto the top bunk with the boys to read books at night. They love it and it's their time together. I love it too...it means the day is winding down!
All in all, life is good and I am thankful for my sweet children and the joy of watching them grow into the people God made them to be. It's a fun season and I am trying to soak it all in before time flies away.

No comments:

Post a Comment