Thursday, February 19, 2009

Gone, but not forgotton...

My kids have gone to Grandmas. Bless Shawn's mom, she took them this morning and I will get them tomorrow morning. I cannot believe the amount that can be accomplished in a day without kids. From weeding and cleaning up the front yard to sewing baby presents and birthday presents...I believe I have accomplished multiple days worth of work. (Don't worry, Shawn and I also got in a time together, dinner out and our favorite shows!) It amazed me. Not once did I stop what I was doing to rescue a wine glass from little hands testing boundries or to follow through on a time out warning because a certain two year old has the inability to share with his brother. I did not pour one glass of apple juice (let alone three or four), I did not clean up any blocks, or wipe any spit up. I never had to stop and remind Gavin to say please, thank you or use his big boy voice. I did not bend over to pick up a crawler who just wants to walk too and I did not have to find blanky and puppy or read any books. I was on no one's schedule but my own.

However, all day there were little reminders left by my little men everywhere. A cement truck in the middle of the couch cushions, a garbage truck on the bathroom counter and a pacifier on my nightstand. And as I go to start my nightly routine of turning off lights, brushing teeth and checking locks, I pass their bedroom with no need to check on a sleeping baby or move a passed out two year old back under his covers. I realize I will be ready to get them tomorrow, so thankful for my time alone with my husband, my day outside in the yard, and time to finish some projects. And so thankful for the opportunity to remind Gavin to be polite, teach Brayden that he has boundries, fill up the apple juice cups, teach sharing, help Brayden find his way and search for blankies and puppy so we can read books.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE reading this. I can tell it will quickly become a favorite of mine... you write so well. Thank you for sharing these moments.

    ReplyDelete