Wednesday, May 6, 2009

YEE-HAW


So, I have been struggling with the overwhelming responsibility of speaking into my child's heart. At two, I know there can't be a huge expectation to see the fruits of the seeds sown. For a person like me, this is difficult. I want results and I don't want to wait until their 18 to get them!!!
I have been working really hard with Gavin on "being kind," as he has been struggling with sharing and just generally being nice to his brother. When he gets in trouble, I usually quote Ephesians 4:32 "Be kind and gentle, forgiving each other as God forgave you." (paraphrased for a 2year old) A little over his head...sure, but they are still words from God. Any Words God has are words of life and I figure it's safer to quote Him when I'm frustrated than to let my own words come out. Then we pray and ask Jesus to help us be kind.
The other day Brayden was crying. Gavin looks at me.
"Mom, baby sad."
"Yes Gavin, he is."
"Baby needs a happy heart." (When Gavin throws a fit and needs to take a break, we tell him to sit on his bed and try to get a happy heart)
"Yes Gavin, he needs to find a happy heart"
Brayden then threw his toys down and Gavin continued, "Mom, baby be kind."
"You're right Gavin, he needs to learn to be kind."
"Mama, baby talk to Jesus"
I wanted to dance for joy!! He's getting it! PRAISE THE LORD. I think God knew I needed a little bit of encouragement that these are not little deaf ears I am speaking to, but ears that are taking it all in and storing it away. Hallalujah and Amen!
Of course we still have a ways to go. Gavin still will only pray for garbage trucks unless prompted to talk about other things. Also, later that day, I was trying to memorize Proverbs 8:33 "Hear instruction and be wise, do not distain it". I was quoting it around the house to stick it in my head. I heard Gavin's little voice behind me "Instruction. Distain it." Hmmm...
I guess I got my glimpse of potential and then God decided to give me a small glimpse of the work ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment