Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Forced productivity

This morning was laughable. I went to get Gavin out of his bed, to find him SOAKED. I forgot he was in a pull up when I put him to bed. Gross. So...off with the clothes and into the shower.
I got the kids ready for breakfast and decided to be extra on top of things by cutting up chicken for tonights dinner. After breakfast, I put the kids in their roomtime, but the chicken on the stove and I went to blowdry my hair. What I was thinking here...not quite sure. Not sure if I was thinking at all!
Then, to top it off, I plugged in my straightener and went to check e-mail in the far back room. That's when I smelled it. Burning. My first thought was that my straightener couldn't get that hot. Then I heard the chicken sizzling. YUCK. As I walked out into the hall, I hit a wall of smoke and was engulfed. It smelled like foster farms had gone up in flames. I ran to the stove to remove the chicken, wondering why the smoke alarm wasn't working, when...the smoke alarm started working. Of course, then Gavin started wailing.
Standing in the hall, waving a blanket at the smoke alarm with a pan of chicken in my hand and a crying son to my right shaking his baby gate yelling "out please"...I glanced at the clock to see...it was only 8:00 am. For real? I am not supposed to do this much by 8 am. In my dreams I wouldn't even be up by 8:00 am.
In the end, we opened the doors and windows, lit some candles and soon the smell of my chicken inferno started fading. I have a clean boy, who has clean sheets and a clean blanket. I also have extra loads of laundry done, because they were in the wash when i needed to put the pee clothes in. I am showered and have my hair done. I have some salvaged chicken for dinner and my garbage is taken out. My house has a lovely candle smell and my kitchen has been cleaned. All by 9:00 am.
I wouldn't have chosen this morning...I am certainly hoping the rest of the day doesn't follow suit. However, it does feel good to be so productive, even if I was forced into it. How's that for optismism?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment