Tuesday, April 28, 2009

this ones for them


I have posted a few today, but I had to do one more entry tonight...for my friends of whom I am not sure I should name, since they are now missionaries (they supposedly get the updates when I post...according to R it's good toilet reading...thanks again R).
When I worked at the church (as a Director of Children's Ministry) R was the Youth Pastor. Right about the time I quit, R announced he and his wife were moving to India on missions. It wasn't a huge suprise, if you know them, their love for Jesus and their passion for sharing the gospel, you knew this was coming. Still there was the shock that it was a reality. Days like today...I sometimes still get that shock. I am nearly picking up the phone when I realize...they aren't "home".
There are many reasons I miss these guys. I can't begin to tell the crazy, lame, funny, and celebratory stories I have from working alongside R, like why the kitchen cart should be pushed backwards or how I finally learned to use a computer. They held me accountable and if you know me, there are few in this world who can call me out and I will really listen to it...it's a fault I am working on. They were like a personal shrink. If I needed to vent, R would nod his head and grunt at the appropriate times. Sometimes I doubted he really heard me, but he let me sit in his office on many occasions and just "get it out" and usually this is all I need to get over it. But if R did use words, it was wisdom beyond his years and I knew it was worth listening to...(well, at least 90% of the time, sometimes...i'll leave that one alone). If I really needed to count on someone to use words, K would listen and give the words I needed. They were both like a personal concordance...I can't count the number of times I called them to say "Hey you know that verse about that guy?" or "Hey when Jesus did that thing...where is that?" They knew it. They fed me meals and made me part of their family when I was single. They welcomed Shawn with open arms and were then Shawn's and my "small group." We had no official meeting date, except last minute when we needed to see friends, play cards, eat browies and just "be" together until late at night. They laughed with us when we were in funny slumps. They were so much a part of such a beautiful and great season of life.
I just recieved a toe ring that K sent to me from India. Here's a small thing about me...I do not like my toes. But I put it on and I love it and I actually smile at my toes when I see it. It's from K. And it reminds me that she's still there and India isn't that far.
I miss R and K so much. Nights like tonight, brownie nights, are the hardest. But...I feel so lucky to have such incredible friends. My heart bursts with pride that these incredible people were my "small group." As K would say, "If only for a season".
For the next season, we will be prayer warriors for them and their kids. And in those prayers, we are going to find a way to India...because we love them. And, we have a box of brownie mix with their names on it.
P.S. R...if you do read this, I was going to post a great picture, unfortunately, I didn't know if I was allowed, plus your name was ironed onto your chest...I figured that's a dead give away. You can thank me later!

No comments:

Post a Comment